Thursday, October 22, 2009

To weep or not to weep...

I was in Seagull Book last night looking for Santa Maybe and saw Spare Change on the bargain table.

For $3.99. Horrors.

It's even in the catalogue this month, next to Shannon Guymon's Soul Searching, which is a great book and also $3.99 right now. So at least it was in good company-- I suppose that's something.

I knew this day would come, but I still couldn't decide whether to wail uncontrollably while frantically hugging a stack of my sharply discounted novels or be happy that more people would be able to afford to read it.

I decided to take the middle ground. I blinked back my tears, patted the copy on the top of the pile sympathetically, and promptly headed to Krispy Kreme. Fortunately, the HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW light was on, so at least the night ended well.

5 comments:

Don said...

Maybe look at this as reaching another milestone in your writing career. Admittedly not the happiest, but still a sign of forward movement.

And everyone can use a good excuse for doughnuts.

Sarah M Eden said...

I was in Seagull Book last night looking for (insert title of any one of my books here) and saw (insert title of any one of my books here)... nowhere.
Now I need a doughnut.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

No fair! The cheapest available-to-Canada copy I've been able to find is $19.00 for a paperback! But I must have it to complete the set!

Also no fair...the closest Krispy Kreme is over an hour from here. Hmph.

Aubrey said...

Thanks, Don. I've never really thought of it that way.

Sarah, your turn is fast approaching. (To be in Seagull, not to be on the bargain table.) Summer 2010, baby!

And Kimberly, the closest Krispy Kreme to me isn't exactly close-- it's about thirty minutes away. But desperate times call for desperate measures! If you want me to put a CHEAP copy of Spare Change in the mail for you, let me know. :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Ooo...for serious? I'm about to mail off a little thank you package to you for your last sweet gesture - if I put in some $ will you pick me up a copy? That'd be luverly!