Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNoWriMo finish line!!!


Crossed over into 50,000+ word territory Saturday night/very early Sunday morning! The story isn't quite finished yet, but I had a good day yesterday and I'm almost at 54,000 words. I'm really curious to see exactly what I've got when I finish and I can go back and read it straight through, since it's had zero editing. Could be scary.


But it was a lot of fun and a great experience and I FINISHED! Even if the writing is crap, the fact that I did it is still amazing to me because I'm not a fast writer. It truly is an experiment of just focusing on spitting out lots of words that hopefully develop into a story somewhere along the way.


So... would I recommend NaNoWriMo to anyone who was undecided this year? Heck yes! And may I offer one piece of advice as a seasoned veteran? (ha ha) Tell everyone you know that you're doing it. Tell your family, (like they wouldn't notice when they don't see you for a month, right?) tell your friends, blog/Facebook/Twitter about it, brag to checkout person at the grocery store. Because when you hit the wall at 18,000 words, you're a lot less likely to punk out since EVERYONE YOU KNOW keeps asking how it's going. Unless you want to admit crushing defeat to your entire social network, you will finish.


So, there it is. Tune in tomorrow for info on a super cool Christmas giveaway you won't want to miss!

4 comments:

Don said...

WooHoo! That's a lot to be proud of. And it's still about pudding, right?

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Congratulations Aubrey! That is awesome. My Nanowrimo is in a pen and paper draft that I had intended to plug into the computer over Thanksgiving. Looks like I'll have to stay up all night to get the job done.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Congratulations! I'm envious of that burst of creative fulfillment you must be bathing in write now. I mean, right now. I only got to 34,000 but in the bigger picture, I got what I really wanted: a running new start on the manuscript I've been itching to write for a year. So I can't say I'm disappointed. I like where the story is going and that's a good feeling.

Aubrey said...

Yes, Don-- I'm afraid it's still about pudding.

Good luck, Karen! I'm rooting for you!

And Melanie, 34,000 words is awesome, especially when I know that you're a prime candidate for PBS (Pregnant Brain Syndrome, not your local public television station.) :)